We pride ourselves on our close connections with industry and the legal community.
When studying law you will learn from experienced and successful industry leaders and gain highly-relevant, practical and applied skills, tying in with the College’s emphasis on practical learning and building close ties with industry.
Our staff and graduate students also conduct research with industry partners to solve real-world problems in areas of:
- international law
- courts and justice
- governance and regulation
- and legal scholarship.
Taking the opportunity to build relationships with mentors from the legal profession will help you grow your network, improve your career advancement prospects and increase your competitiveness for future roles you may be applying for.
Partnerships & memberships
Our College has quite a number of key industry associations and partnerships that our students get to benefit from.
Some of our major clients, partners and industry associations are:
- Victoria Legal Aid
- Victoria Police
- State Trustees
- Young Workers Victoria
- Magistrates Court of Victoria
- County Court of Victoria
- Supreme Court of Victoria (Court of Appeal)
- Family Court of Australia
- Department of Justice, Victoria
- Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority
- Migration Institute of Australia
- Department of Labour (New Zealand)
- Immigration Advisers Authority, New Zealand
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology, New Zealand
- University of Waikato, New Zealand
- FCG Legal Pty Ltd, Lawyers
- Rob Stary Lawyers
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Council of Legal Education
- Society of Notaries of Victoria.
A number of key legal professionals have been appointed as adjuncts to the College.
Adjuncts are honorary staff who typically simultaneously hold an appropriate position in another institution, in government, or in the private sector and have a significant involvement in developing an aspect of the University and the College of Law and Justice. This could be involvement as a mentor, as part of guest lectures, mooting competitions, summer and winter schools, international exchanges or providing relevant input to the curriculum.
Some of the appointed adjuncts to the College of Law & Justice are:
- Retired High Court Judge the Hon. Michael Kirby AC CMG - Mooting
- Former Attorney-General Nicola Roxon
- Peter Zablud – Notarial Practice
- Professor David Denton, QC
- Rodger Fernandez – Migration law courses
- Denis Nelthorpe – WEstjustice Sunshine Youth Office (Practical experience)
- Philip Misso – County Court Program
- Karl Michael-Schmidt – summer school/student mobility
To see a full list of our College's Adjuncts please see college staff.