Personal safety tips
These simple tips can help you be safer at home and when you're out.
Download the Personal Safety fact sheet.
- Keep your belongings with you.
- Keep the number for Campus Security in your phone.
- When leaving campus late, walk with friends or call a Security Escort to walk with you.
- If you need assistance on campus call Security.
- Park in the university car park.
- Use the after-hours VU Shuttle Bus to the train station.
- Download the VUSafe app.
- In a car, wear a seatbelt.
- Check public transport timetables in advance.
- At night sit in a carriage nearest to the driver.
- Be aware of emergency assistance buttons.
- If you feel uncomfortable get up and move.
- Avoid isolated stops.
- If travelling alone, let someone know your travel schedule.
- Keep your belongings close to you.
- Keep your belongings out of sight, e.g. don’t have you phone visible in your back pocket or leave your bag unzipped.
- Be aware of the people around you.
- Leave valuables at home, e.g. your passport.
- Don’t give out personal information, e.g. your address.
- Be alert and aware, e.g. look where you walk, not at your phone.
- Keep your phone with you, or have money or a phone card.
- Notice safety features such as CCTV cameras and police or security staff.
- Pay attention, if you have headphones in keep the volume low.
- Download a personal safety app, such as bSafe.
Going out at night
- Plan your trip there and home, e.g. book a taxi or uber in advance, or look up the public transport timetable.
- Never hitch hike or take a ride from a stranger.
- Have safety precautions ready to use, such as a whistle and light with you, or in an app.
- Travel in a group if you can.
- Use footpaths, crossings, and stick to well-lit areas.
- If you feel threatened by someone, tell them to stop loudly or ask someone else for assistance.
- Keep windows and doors locked, especially at night.
- Don’t open the door for strangers.
- Leave a light on when out at night, in particular a sensor light.
- Be fire safe, install smoke detectors and develop a fire escape plan.
- Keep your garage door closed and locked.
- Have a neighbour collect your mail if you’re away.
- Don’t hide a key outside the house.
- Keep valuables out of view from outside your home, including packaging from expensive items in rubbish bins.
- Install an alarm or get a dog to deter intruders.