VU is recognised for research excellence – in the latest Excellence in Research for Australia rankings, we were rated above world standard for our engineering, mathematical sciences, and applied-mathematics areas, among others.
We have also been ranked:
- 2nd in Victoria for computer science
- 3rd in Victoria for engineering & technology (Times Higher Education).
We have world-leading experts in a broad range of research areas, including alternative energy, computer science, education, economics, environmental science, diverse communities, engineering and infrastructure, construction, information technology, law, public policy and water management.
The work of ISILC incorporates and builds on the research undertaken at VU prior to 2018 in several research institutes and centres, as well as within our Colleges (including in Business, Law, Engineering, Science, Arts and Education). To find out more about our research projects and partnerships, read the following:
- Institute for Sustainability & Innovation (ISI) – Industry and community solutions in water treatment technology, resource management, asset management, social and behavioural research, environment, e-research, smart energy, alternative energy and packaging.
- Centre for Applied Informatics (CAI) – Applied informatics research that engages computer scientists, experts from application domains (including health, community, business and environments), industry and government partners to develop innovative information technology applications that benefit society.
- Victoria Institute for Education, Diversity & Lifelong Learning (VI) – Inclusive education research that uses innovative research techniques to build better learning outcomes for diverse and disadvantaged students.
- Victoria Institute for Strategic & Economic Studies (VISES) – Study of the fundamental economic, social and technological changes that are recasting the global economy, and development of effective policy responses.
- Centre for Cultural Diversity and Wellbeing (CCDW) – Investigation of the connection between cultural diversity and human wellbeing.
- CESARE (Centre for Environmental Safety & Risk Engineering) – Fire research into structural behaviour and design, heat transfer, mechanical systems, human behaviour in fire, risk assessment, management and detection systems and environmentally sustainable building design.