It’s generally a good idea to work out which journal you want to publish in first and then write a manuscript specifically targeting that journal.
- Check the aims and scope of the journal.
- Check your references to see which journals you frequently cite.
- Which field is better to publish in? For example, if your research is on bullying in schools does your research fit with psychology or education?
- Check Field of Research codes in ERA journal lists (the journal should be relevant to your work AND be within a strategic area for your organisational unit).
- Use journal databases to search by topic and then sort by ‘publication’ or ‘source’. Scopus is very good for this (and you can sort by highly cited).