Study at VU

Student Services & Amenities Fee (SSAF)

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is a compulsory fee charged by most universities, used to improve the provision of non-academic services and amenities. This means increased funding for:

  • student clubs and societies
  • support services such as general counselling, career and financial advice
  • various events on campus
  • sport and recreational activities
  • improving facilities in student lounges and learning spaces.

Your 2017 SSAF

Government-funded students will need to pay the following SSAF amounts in 2017. If you are required to pay it, your SSAF will be itemised on your Statement of Account, and is payable upon enrolment.

The SSAF is charged each academic semester for HE students and annually for TAFE students.

Higher education (HE) SSAF cost

  • Full time study: $294
  • Part time study: $147


  • Full time study (541 hours or more per year): $205.80
  • Part time study (25 – 540 hours per year): $102.90
  • Eligible for concession on tuition: $88.20
  • Studying off campus: $44.10

Who pays SSAF?

Most enrolled students need to pay the SSAF, either as a separate fee or as part of their tuition fees. HE students can apply for a loan to pay for the SSAF. TAFE students enrolled in Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Graduate Certificate courses are required to pay the SSAF fee upfront upon enrolment and can't apply for a loan for this fee.

You pay SSAF as a separate fee if you:

  • have a Commonwealth-supported place (higher education HECS students)
  • are enrolled as a government funded TAFE student.

You pay SSAF as part of your tuition fees if you are:

  • a full-fee student or a fee-for-service student.

You don’t pay SSAF if you are:

  • a TAFE student studying fewer than 25 hours per year 
  • a TAFE student enrolled in the course LNSUPPORT - Literacy and Numeracy Support 
  • receiving advanced standing for your entire course
  • an eligible asylum seeker 
  • a VU employee on contract for a period of at least 12 months or ongoing on a time fraction of 0.5 or more (see instructions on the Staff Status Declaration).

Applying for a SA-HELP loan (HE students only)

  • If you’re an HE student you may be eligible to defer your SSAF payment with a SA-HELP loan. You’re eligible if you:
  • are an Australian citizen or a permanent humanitarian visa holder resident in Australia
  • are a New Zealand special category visa holder who meets the long-term residency requirements.
  • are enrolled in an eligible course of study with a higher education provider
  • meet the tax file number (TFN) requirements.

If you’d like to apply for a SA-HELP loan, please visit a VUHQ to get a copy of the Request for SA-HELP Assistance form. Submit your form at any VUHQ by the following dates:

  • 31 March for Semester 1
  • 31 August for Semester 2.

Find out more about SA-HELP loans by visiting the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.

How the SSAF is used

The Australian Government has SSAF guidelines to make sure your SSAF is spent in ways that benefit you. The fee is invested into maintaining provision of services, improving facilities and creating opportunities for you to make the most of your time at VU.

At VU, the SSAF has been used toward: