Melbourne has a public transport network of trains, trams and buses servicing all parts of the city and outer suburbs. It's reliable, safe and easy to use.
Each of our campus pages includes a Public Transport Victoria journey planner to help you plan your route to VU by public transport.
In 'Public transport - trains, trams & buses':
myki – for trains, trams & buses
The myki public transport ticketing system uses a plastic smart card that you store value on to pay for your fares. It works in metropolitan Melbourne and some regional areas.
Visit the Public Transport Victoria (PTV) website for comprehensive information on public transport including timetables, routes, maps, journey planners fares and concession cards.
See Melbourne by taking a ride on:
Buy your myki card and start travelling Melbourne!
iUSEpass – discount for international students
International students (including New Zealand citizens) are able to apply for an iUSEpass. The iUSEpass is a Public transport travel discount scheme for international students.
The pass allows you to purchase a 365 day myki card at a 50% discount off the full fare rate.
A Zone 1 + 2 yearly iUSEpass costs $760.50 instead of the full fare annual myki pass cost of $1521.00.
The pass can be used on all Public Transport Victoria (PTV) trains, trams and buses in the myki zone/s in which your education institution is located.
Before you apply for a iUSEpass myki ticket, estimate much you will need to spend on travel and decide whether to purchase a yearly ticket.
Purchasing a yearly (365 day) iUSEpass will only be worthwhile if you plan to travel regularly in zones one and two for a full year. To find out more about public transport fares visit PTV website iUSEpass page.
Eligibility for the iUSEpass
To be eligible for this pass, you must:
- be an international student (or a New Zealand citizen) enrolled in a full-time load (48 credit points per semester)
- be enrolled at VU and studying a bachelor (including honours), diploma, advanced diploma or associate degree
- have over 12 months’ (or two semesters) of full time study left to complete your course
- have a valid VU student card
- have an active VU student email account.
If you are enrolled in postgraduate, VE/TAFE certificate or ELICOS study, or you are studying in Australia as part of a student exchange or study abroad program you will not be eligible for an iUSEpass.
Apply for an iUSEpass
To obtain an iUSEpass, you will need to:
- enrol in a full time load in semesters 1 and 2
- activate your VU student email account
- obtain your student card
- apply for an iUSEpass registration code (with VU) online
- use the unique code provided by VU to purchase your iUSEpass online from Public Transport Victoria (you will need to have your registration code).
Taxis & ride sharing
Taxis and ride-sharing services (such as Uber) are not a form of public transport. They are generally are quick and safe way to get around Melbourne, although they are more expensive than public transport.