Take your career to the next level with a postgraduate qualification from VU.
Whether you want to enhance your skills, follow a new passion, or join our international research community, we can help you reach your goal.
VU - a great choice for postgrads
Postgraduate study at VU is a unique and valuable experience. The following are just some of the reasons why VU is a top choice for postgraduate students:
- VU has a high global ranking. According to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016/2017, we are ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide.
- We offer industry-relevant courses and industry-standard laboratories and facilities. Our courses are designed in consultation with industry and our teachers and supervisors are experts in their fields.
- VU is recognised for research excellence – 15 of our research focus areas were rated at or above world standard in the latest Excellence in Research for Australia ranking.
- We offer flexible study options that fit around your work or life commitments – and you have the opportunity to apply based on your life experience, not just your academic qualifications.
- We are known for our supportive learning environment and the research skills programs we provide through our support for graduate researchers.
- We have a well-earned reputation for accessibility and have a highly diverse student community.
- We offer a generous range of scholarships totalling around A$5 million a year for both domestic and international students undertaking graduate research degrees.
"VU provided me with pathways. They didn’t discriminate based on my grades, but assessed my application based on experience I had gained outside of university.
I had a specific goal to work with children experiencing trauma and have been working in a specialised family violence service for women and children for six months now. I was offered the job a short time after finishing my course. Never in a million years did I think I would be able to say 'I have a masters degree!' But it was the best thing I ever did, and I feel I have been set up for success."
Arts & education
Make your career ambitions in the arts or education a reality. We offer postgraduate arts and education courses and research opportunities in communication, community development, creative arts, education, languages and more.
View our postgraduate arts & education courses.
Our postgraduate business courses are designed to be relevant to current and future needs of many industries. Courses are run out of our Victoria Graduate School of Business (VGSB) and led by a team of passionate and internationally-recognised experts.
View our business courses.
Engineering & science
Postgraduate engineering and science courses provide industry-focused technical and management specialisations. Our research programs offer you opportunities to develop expertise in fundamental science or engineering.
View our engineering and science courses.
Health & biomedicine
Undertake postgraduate coursework or research across both the healthcare and health science sectors. Our key research groups focus on translating innovation in experimental medicine into positive health results for the community, particularly in Melbourne’s west.
View our health and biomedicine courses.
Law & justice
Our postgraduate programs in law and justice help you develop skills for government, judiciary, legal practitioners, court staff and ancillary professions. Courses are run through the Sir Zelman Cowen Centre in the heart of Melbourne’s legal precinct.
View our law and justice courses.
Sport & exercise science
VU is an Australian leader in sport education. We are the country’s largest provider of sport and exercise science programs. The Institute of Sport, Exercise Science and Active Living (ISEAL) is an internationally-recognised research facility based within our $68 million sport and learning precinct at Footscray Park Campus.
View our sport and exercise science courses.
"The best part about my course was the lecturers. They had a wide range of experiences and backgrounds which enhanced the spectrum of learning substantially.
The VU student-run osteopathy clinic is also fantastic grounding for moving into private practice. I now run two successful multidisciplinary clinics with nearly 40 staff. I have lectured throughout the world several times and Australia."
Apply for a course
If you are an international student, find out how to submit an international application.